Amy Pickens, Matt Hansen, Alexandra Tyukavina, Peter Potapov, Byron Marroquin, and Zainab Sherani from the GLAD research group together with Matt Hancher from Google and Steve Stehman from SUNY have published their new study of global water dynamics in Remote Sensing of Environment.
- First sample-based global estimates of open surface water extent and change.
- 40% of area with surface water detected between 1999 and 2018 was not permanent.
- Area of multiple water/land transitions far exceeds (>4x) area of unidirectional loss or gain of water.
- Maps highlight 7 types of 1999–2019 global surface water stable and change dynamics.
- 10.9% of global inland surface water is within mixed pixels at Landsat resolution.